Bowie State University will host President Barack Obama at a voting rally for Maryland Democrats this afternoon beginning at 12:30 p.m. It is the second visit to the BSU campus for President Obama, with his first visit coming in 2006 as a presidential candidate in a campaigning stop.
Bowie State is a political hotbed for state and national legislators. Since 2006, the campus has hosted several key political figures in campaigning exercises, student forums and official government addresses. The list of activities includes:
· In 2006 U.S. Senator Obama chose Bowie State to rally voters in his bid for presidency.
· In the fall of 2007 Lt. Governor Brown held a BRAC subcommittee at meeting at Bowie State (click here).
· Governor O’Malley addressed his first commencement speech as Governor of Maryland at Bowie State in December 2007 (click here).
· In 2008 U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton held a town hall meeting at BSU when running as a presidential candidate.
· In March 2009 Bowie State students discussed higher education issues with U.S. Senators Barbara Mikulski and Benjamin Cardin and Governor O’Malley (click here).
· U.S. Congressman Elijah E. Cummings and Executive Director of the White House Initiative on HBCUs Dr. John Silvanus Wilson, Jr. both were keynote speakers at Bowie State’s Founders’ Day events in 2009 and 2010 respectively.
· U. S. Congressman and House Majority Leader Steny Hoyer met with BSU students in March 2010 to discuss the newly-enacted health insurance and the benefits in the bill (click here).
Copyright secured by Digiprove © 2010 HBCUDigest.com